2016-02-28

Coppice

I've been continuing cutting limbs off the willow at the back. I had to do a bit at a time because of my joints. I've been cutting the canopy into smaller chunks and separating branches and twigs.


Loki, the stump and a holly sprout

Today Pim's dad brought a chainsaw to finish coppicing it, but it stopped working about 1/4 in. I tried to continue but it was a bit too much for me, the stump is quite wide at the bottom (at about 8 cm from the ground). In the end Pim cut it with the folding saw and some patience. The last bit split and there is a small hole on the stump. I gather it is best to not cover stumps with paint or anything, but I didn't like how this hole was going to collect water, so I filled it with paraffin from melted candles and dabbed around it a bit. It is not completely covered but the bits that would collect water are.

Looks like the central branch enveloped a couple of others.
There were signs of this on the exterior as well.

The hole that concerned me.

Waxy mess.

I hope it will sprout back this or next year and live on as a coppice. Perhaps even be harvested for basket material.

As it stands now.

So now, all the raspberries and red currants will get a lot more light and some sun. Last year was quite dark in there and they barely gave any fruit. I certainly should fertilise the area as well.

I also found a few holly sprouts in this area, one right by the stump (see first pic). They'll also stand a better chance.

There is another tree a few paces further, right at the edge of the property, a hawthorn which I love and is of modest proportions. It can be seen in the last picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.