2015-04-25

Cross-pollination

Today we visited a nearby garden center (Van Goidsenhoven in Holsbeek). It was great! ;P

We got 4 bare root, low-stemmed fruit trees for 7 euro each. We could choose and pull them out of the ground ourselves. We got an apple (Elstar), two cherries (Regina and Early Rivers). The elstar is supposed to cross-pollinate nicely with the Jonagold we already have, and the Regina is cross-pollinated by the Early Rivers (the other way around was not mentioned in the label however?).
We also got a medlar, we have never tasted the fruits, and they seem quite particular, so we'll see.

We hurried home and immediately planted the trees, the apple had some flowers already so it's probably not the best time...



Medlar

Early Rivers

Regina

Elstar

I also found a few other plants I wanted to get for the garden, all with white flowers:


Except the hops, which blooms green, and the three ferns, which have no blooms ;)
So the rest are a variety of broom, which has small, nicely fragant cream white flowers (Cytisus praecox 'Albus'), a white lilac, an elder bush and a white wisteria.

Tomorrow I have to find places for them and plant them.

Edit Nov 2015: I realise I did not write down the cultivar for the lilac. I think in the shop they had Madame Lemoine which I had read about, but then I bought another white variety. Could it ve Edith Cavell? I actually don't remember, I hope the label shows up somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.