2014-06-15

15 June

The curcubitas are starting to grow over the pallet.

Some of the beans are already sprouting after only two days!

Pim's dad cut the very high grass.


The rosa rugosa is doing pretty well. It had a load of aphids a couple of weeks ago so I sprayed it a little
with some (supposedly bio...) insecticide and now it's doing great.


One of the currants (the white one) died. The other is doing allright.
I think the soil was poisoned by the neighbour with some overdose of product,
trying to kill the blackberries that had taken over everything by the time
the previous owner was trying to sell the house. This is along a stretch of fence.
Not even grass grows there at the moment, on either side. I didn't realise and planted
both redcurrants. This redcurrant is planted a little further and survived. The other one died.
The butterfly bush is planted at the edge of this zone, and for a while it seemed affected,
but now it seem to be doing fine.

Butterfly bush.

Rosa Mulliganii growing very fast!


Yesterday I spent a couple of hours clearing the back jungle of raspberries and
raspberries. I mainly wanted to clear up the blackberries and particularly
the nettles that were threatening to take over. I got carried away and then
this mountain of branches happened. 

As it stands now. Turns out the main amount of mass was a very, very old white currant bush. Decades old I would think.
I cut it off to the base and left space and light for the young plants. Perhaps it will grow new shoots. I could have tried
to leave some younger branches, but there was a lot of very thick, unproductive wood. At least now there's room for the young plants. Some white currants and a lot of raspberries. I should also clear the tree (willow?) that shades this area. 

Nasturtiums :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.